Thursday, February 2, 2012

Big Sister Duties

I just looked back through my facebook status updates from the past few days and realized that Riley is getting sort of a bad rap. I've been sharing some of her more dramatic three year old moments, including her claiming that I ruined her night because I wouldn't give her any more shaving cream for her "white pie" she makes in the tub.  She has certainly had moments in the past week or so where I have had to count to ten or let Jason step in and just walk away repeating to myself "I don't believe in violence, I don't believe in violence" but I don't want to put more attention on that than on how proud of her I truly am.
Riley's life changed completely 4 months ago.  We attempted to prepare her the best we could - we read books about it, we talked about it, I prayed about it - but she was 2 and there's only so much we could prepare for before Logan arrived. It wasn't real until Logan was born and home and a full-time addition to our family.  That day was the day that Riley earned a new name - Big Sister.  She is honestly the best big sister I could have ever hoped she would be to Logan.  Some of her Big Sister Duties include:
*singing a morning song to Logan every day when she wakes up (and let me tell you, Logan's eyes light up and her smile is ear-to-ear when she hears her sister's voice!)
*getting Logan's paci when I'm in another room and need it or giving her a paci if it falls out
*getting the empty bottles out of Logan's room from the night before and putting them in the sink
*putting Logan's clothes in her hamper when I'm changing her
*talking/singing to her in the backseat on a car ride
*picking out her socks
*giving her a hug and kiss each night
*playing independently while Logan gets a bottle or is going to bed
and many more tasks that basically involve being a supportive, loving, responsible, helpful little girl and she does all of it with an "ok" and  a "yes ma'am" and for the most part without even having to be asked! And thankfully, even in her moments of tantrums, refusals, and yelling fits, she has never taken anything out on Logan or seemed to be disappointed or jealous.  She has become a Big Sister beautifully and the way Logan adores her and watches her every move is proof that their relationship is already forming a bond that will never be broken. 
Dear Riley ~ Thank you for being such a good Big Sister, for stepping into that role seemlessly and loving your little sister wholeheartedly.  Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you and the love you have shown! 

No comments:

Post a Comment