Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Mommy's Life

A mother is a special person for many reasons.  I happen to believe wholeheartedly that I have one of the best mothers that ever existed and I strive daily to be the best Mommy I can be to Riley and Logan. Let me tell you though, motherhood isn't for the weak!  The process begins internally when a child starts developing inside of you and you can feel kicks, bumps, and twirls knowing that something very important and special, a miracle in fact, is occurring inside of you.  The amount of love and devotion that comes with the knowledge that God is creating a person inside of you is inexplicable.  Then, the obvious part, the birth.  You know how preachers say that you should honor and serve God for no other reason than that Jesus gave His life on a cross?  I believe the same about mothers ~ they should be honored simply for giving birth! Whether a natural delivery or a c-section, all mothers incur a lot of pain bringing a child into this world and nobody should ever try to demean that or take that away from a woman who has suffered through it.  Motherhood brings sleepless nights, stained clothes, the loss of all privacy or personal life.  There are also the moments of silence in the rocking chair feeling a baby breathing on your neck peacefully asleep or times when you're staring into the crib wondering how you could have ever been given such a precious gift!  Even your conversations change, who knew so many discussions could revolve around breastmilk, poop color, and sleep habits! As a mother you celebrate every single milestone, big or small, and you jump into action at every cough or random sound.  You become a constant cleaner - cleaner of rooms, closets, toys, bottoms, hands, noses, and faces.  You start to notice the world around you much more thoroughly now that you are responsible for what your child sees, hears, experiences, and learns. You have to be the strength and comfort in the midst of pain and the constant reminder of rules and expectations.  Motherhood brings a new spark to your imagination.  You are the entertainment and the source of activity every day ~ you better be good with playdough, crayons, gluesticks, glitter, puppets, building blanket tents in the living room, and turning any cardboard box into an afternoon of fun!  Playing at the park, reading a book together, taking a walk and watching the clouds, listening to a child sing and dance to made up songs, these are the joys of motherhood.  Motherhood is full of trials and failures, as well as pockets of love and pride.  Tears of disappointment and tears of joy will be shed on numerous occassions.  And I've only had 4 years experience! While motherhood can be exhausting, daunting, and overwhelming, could there ever be a more important, precious blessing than to be called Mommy?  If you are a Mom, then I honor you!  I honor your dedication to your children and I say to you well done for what you've already accomplished!  Keep up the good work!

Now to my Mother: You are amazing!  I can never relate to someone who doesn't have a great relationship with their mom because you have blessed me in so many ways and surrounded me with support and love through every part of my life.  You continue to amaze me as a Nanny to Ethan, Riley, and Logan and I just want to say that I love you and admire you and want to be like you for so many reasons.  Thank you for believing in me, for encouraging me, for praying for me.  Thank you for being the ultimate example of God's grace and love in my life.  Thank you for your strength and for the way you sacrifice wanting nothing in return.  I love you!

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment: